There are so many things I am grateful for: being surrounded by family and friends; having finally settled into a job that I love; a yoga practice that enriches and strengthens me; books that let me slip away; and little things like coffee and chocolate… But when I started thinking about what I would photograph to show gratitude this week, what I realized is that right now, I am most grateful for being home again.
This is the early morning sunrise through my back window.
1. Travel. Taking the kids to Cuba for the second year in a row, splashing around in the warm ocean and visiting historical Havana.
2. Birthdays. Celebrating another year with the people I love most.
3. Dancing. Watching my daughter on stage; watching my children dance around the house with pure abandon.
4. Quiet days. Not having to go to work every day.
5. Camping on the beach. Searching for sea glass, building sand castles, campfires by the shore.
6. Water park. Our first visit to Magic Mountain in Moncton, NB.
7. Favourite things. Having time to read, write, knit, and take many, many pictures.
8. Fencing. Seeing my son delight in a new activity.
9. Outdoors. Fresh air, sunshine, exercise, and yes, even snow.
10. Christmas. Another holiday spent with my favourite people.
I had just finished painting my daughter’s room a pretty, intense pink that she had chosen.
I stood for a moment, admiring the colour and feeling the satisfaction of a job completed. Then, it was time to clean up. As I reached down to pick up the paint can, I noticed this exquisite pattern on the inside of the lid, created by the mix of pigments.
Who knew that the prettiest paint would be the one that required no effort, that happened all on its own?